Puppy swallows owner’s AirPods whole – and baffles vet as they still work

A puppy has had to undergo surgery after he swallowed his owner’s AirPods.

Rachel Hick was forced to rush her golden retriever Jimmy to the vets after she realised he’d eaten her headphone case.

The 22-year-old from Hull said her “heart sank” after Jimmy swallowed the case whole when the headphones fell out of her pocket, reports Hull Live.

Miraculously, the surgeon at Vets Now in Hull, East Yorkshire, managed to retrieve the case after performing surgery – and they even still work.

She said: “It was Easter Sunday and Jimmy has his own Instagram account, so I was taking photos of him getting his first dog Easter egg to use on Instagram. He was jumping up and running around going crazy, he was so hyped up and excited.

As he jumped, he knocked my AirPods out of my pocket and they fell on the floor, and before I even realised they’d dropped on the floor, he’d eaten them whole.

“He looked up at me straight after and gave me a look as if to say ‘that wasn’t the treat, was it?’ My heart sank.”

Rachel rushed to an out-of-hours pet emergency service, where the case showed up in a scan.

Promoted Stories

Susana Jauregui, the senior vet at the Hull-based practice, explained: “Our vet on duty that evening, Steven, X-rayed Jimmy and the radiograph images clearly showed the AirPods case still intact in his digestive system.

“There was a risk of it causing an obstruction and, with it being a charging case, Steven was also concerned about battery acid leaking so, after discussing the situation with Jimmy’s owners, he agreed to operate.

“Jimmy’s a beautiful dog and he’s lucky his owners acted so promptly. Battery acid is highly dangerous to dogs as are large foreign objects, especially if they’re allowed to pass into the intestine.”

To Steven’s surprise, the case was completely intact – not a bite mark or scratch insight – and the charging light was still on.

After a successful operation, Jimmy spent the night at the vets.

He returned home the next day feeling “a bit sorry for himself.”

Rachel said: “He’s a bit sorry for himself, we’re not allowed to exercise him so he has all this energy and nowhere for it to go.

“I have been so worried about him, it’s certainly a cautionary tale for other dog owners. I can’t believe the AirPods still work, they’ve had a good clean!”